Eye Care Expert Forum
bleeding at the back of the eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

bleeding at the back of the eye
My mother has been experiencing bleeding at the back of the eye. She had laser surgery twice but the condition hasn't improve. What do you think is the best treatment for her at this time?
Depends what is bleeding and from what condition/disease process.  I would assume she is diabetic with diabetes related bleeding in the back of the eye.  If that is the case, laser is the best treatment.  She may also benefit from injections into the eye and may in severe cases require eye surgery (vitrectomy).  Of course, I'm just speculating about what may be going on and can not give specific medical advice without examining her eyes.  Just make sure that the ophthalmologist she is seeing is a retina specialist (means he/she spent an extra two years training to deal with problems of the back of the eyes).  Good luck.

HV