Eye Care Expert Forum
bleeding behind eye after cataract surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Had cataract surgery 2 1/2 mos.  ago.  Have had bleeding since.  Been to specialist for laser treatment.  Treatments have not helped.  Doctor wants to operate to remove blood.  I am a diabetic, have heart problems.  Are there any other treatment available other than surgery?  Would blood behind eye  eventually clear up on its own without surgery?
diabetic bleeding in the back of the eye may be due to growth of abnormal blood vessels.  Sometimes surgery is required to remove blood (to see better) and to do more laser inside of the eye during surgery.  Most patients though could be managed with injections of a medication into the eye (anti VEGF therapy) every 4-6 weeks and laser once there is an adequate view to perform more laser.  There are other problems that do require surgery though (eg if there is a membrane in the back of the eye or a tractional retinal detachment) so without an eye exam I can not fully answer all of your questions.  You could always get a second opinion from another retina specialist and see what they say about the need for surgery.

HV
Thank you for your helpful opinion.  I will get a second opinion.