Eye Care Community
blind spot appeared in my vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

blind spot appeared in my vision

about 2 weeks ago I noticed a spot in my vision of my left eye. This spot did not seem like a floater and it did not drift around. It is located a little below my central vision.
I saw an Opthamalogist 2 days ago and he did a thourough exam and dialtion. He found nothing abnormal, and he told me it was a floater. I asked him if a floater could stay in the same spot in my visual field and he said yes. He also mentioned it could be caused by a migraine, but the symptoms have not gone away.
The spot is not as noticable as it was when it first appeared - however I cannot see through the spot at all - it has turned into a blind spot.
I am extremely comcerned about this. I am 28 yrs old. What should I do about this? Will it get worse?
I would, like you, discount migraine as a cause.  Some floaters are located very near the retina and don't move much but they generally do not block out part of the vision.

1. Google the term "Amsler grid" read about the test, how to take it then print out a Amsler grid and take the test on both eyes. See if you can find the blurred area in the left eye. Be sure to remember to always look at the dot in the centeer. Start testing your eye daily.
2. Get a second opinion, ideally this time from an Retina Specialist Eye MD, you can find one at www.aao.org   You may need a Macular OCT or fluorscene angiogram  If you are on good terms with the ophthalmologist that saw you you can call his office and ask for a referral to a retinal specialst.

Keep digging.

JCH III MD
I tried using the Amsler grid and when I lined up my visiual disturbance with the dot on the paper, the dot vanished.
What seems odd to me is that when I look at a reverse Amsler grid (black background w/white dot), the white dot is still slightly visible and doesn't vanish completely, although it dims considerably.
If this is a blind spot, could it get worse?
pathological cauase of central scotomas (blind spots) usually worsen and are visible on the regular Amsler grid.

If there is no disease in your eyes then what you observe should stay the same or go away. If it worsens then its mandatory to get a second opinion as I suggested above.

JCH III MD
Thank you very much for your responses, I will keep an eye on my problem (no pun intended)!

Thanks, Merry Christmas and thanks for visiting the Sight Site.

JCH III MD