Eye Care Expert Forum
blood clot in eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

blood clot in eye
I have been diagnosed with a blood clot that was pushing on my optic nerve.At the three month check-up my opthalmogist informed me that the clot is just sitting there, and that there was nothing that can be done about it. The pressure in my eye is over 20 and i have been prescibed Xalatan which has lowered the pressure slightly.Also the circualtion in the eye area is sluggish.
The vision is slighty blurry, since I went to the opthalmologst last week it has improved slightly.  Has any one else got this problem? Would it be safe to take either cartia asprin or ginkgo to help the clot to break up.I am really worried that the clot could cause me to loose the sight in my eye.
Thank you
Dear Babmel,

It is important to find out why you had the blood clot as well.  A systemic workup is indicated for high blood pressure, diabetes, high pressure in the eye and other things.  It is important for you to see your eyeMD, preferably a retinal specialist to get your questions answered and to confirm, whether you have any diseases which need to be managed systemically.  These are excellent questions and you to get them answered.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
A related discussion, need info was started.