Eye Care Expert Forum
blood in sclera - white of eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

blood in sclera - white of eye

I recently posted a question about the horrendous cold I had over the new year.  I feel great now but it has left me with catarrah (not infected).  One nostril in particular needs continual blowing and I have been blowing very hard at times!  Noticed three days ago blood blob in white of eye just in the underneath part.  No pain, discharge or vision probs.  Just the red blob that everyone keeps mentioning.  Doesnt look that bad to me.  Do you think it is due to the blowing of my nose.
Tags: eyes
Yes, it very likely is due to hard blowing of the nose and possible worsened by a blood thinner like aspirin.  If any pain, or vision loss, or discharge, or flashes of light, please see an ophthalmologist.  If everything is OK then it should resolve on its own in a week or two.

MJK MD