blue ring around iris
my dad has develped blue rings around the iris of his eye and the doctor said that it was cholesteral and that was fine but now the circles are getting bigger and my dad is afraid that when it reaches his pupil that he will go blind.  no one is telling us anything.  my dad is 46 years old and has had a heartattack from smoking (he stopped) if that means anything.  please, can you tell us anything?
Sadleh

This discussion is related to Blue ring around irises of the eye.
The blue line is on the cornea. It's an archus senilis. When it develops in people younger than 65 it can be associated with high cholesterol and triglycerides. He needs to get a "fasting lipid profile" and discuss the results with his personal physician.

It is no threat to sight.

JCH MD
There is supposedly no cure for this condition. However, I have been using MSM drops and l-carnosine drops for almost one year (for general eye health) and found, to my surprise, that the blue rings around my eyes are noticeably narrower and darker. Once I noticed that the rings were decreasing in size, I had my optometrist photograph them. I started the treatment last November, but unfortunately did not have them photographed until this past July. When I next see him I hope to be able to have a record of the improvement. I first noticed the rings about 20 years ago. I know that the condition is only cosmetic, but who wants old-people eyes?
By the way, I do not have a problem with cholesterol.
Have you had any improvement in the blue rings around your cornea with the use of MSM eyedrops? I have the same problem and I do not have cholesterol problems.  Thanks!
The 'placebo effect' is real:  people who think they have found the magic bullet do feel better with whatever the magic supplement might be.  The effect can be quite long-lasting, maybe even a  couple of years, but I have read that on average it tends to poop out after about three months.

If, after four or five years, you have not heard from a poster with a magical cure, the chances are good that the Placebo Effect has worn off, and it turned out not to be a magical cure after all.