Eye Care Expert Forum
blurred vision after cataract surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

blurred vision after cataract surgery
I had catatract surgery six weeks ago, I'm concerned with the blrurred vision that comes and goes when I lower my head to read. My night vision has greatly improved and my vision is better at a distance. I have not had any improvement in close reading. My doctor says that the vision will improve but that it may take six month. He prescribed Pred Forte USP1% eye drops 4xdaily and Acular LS 0.4% 2xdaily. I see little improvement but not what I had hoped for. Please advise on what my next step should be. I have not had new glasses prescribed yet due to the ongoing problem Please advise. Thank you Bob
First of all, you could simply need to wear reading glasses.  If your uncorrected distance vision is good then by definition you will need reading glasses  usually to some degree since the implant is monofocal.  You could also have cystoid macular edema, corneal edema, astigmatism, epiretinal membrane, or other causes of decreased vision.  Have a talk with your surgeon and ask why your reading vision is not better.

MJK MD

Dear bob160,

I would recommend that you seek the care of your eyeMD immediately and have your eye examined especially the retina.  Without a further history and examination, the etiology is not known.  By the drops you are using, I assume you may have swelling of the area of your finest vision, known as cystoid macular edema.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California