Eye Care Expert Forum
blurry pulsating ring in peripheral
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

blurry pulsating ring in peripheral

about a month ago, i posted that after a game of volleyball where i was upset at our team play, i had double vision for about 3 minutes, a trip to the opthamalogist turned up nothing unusual.  my PCP ordered a brain MRI and that was normal as well.  

last night, after another sporing event where i again was upset that we lost, about 20 minutes after playing, i started having a blurry pulsating horshoe shape ring along the right peripheral corner of my right eye.  i could see straight ahead fine, but could notice this in my peripheral.  it at times looked like something was moving, or maybe it looked like rainbow colored light.  after about 10 minutes, it went away.  im certain another trip to the opthamalogist will turn up nothing.  is stress causing this or is this coincidence?
Related Discussions
233488_tn?1310696703
Stress will not cause this. The most likely cause is ophthalmic (or eye) migraine which may or may not be associated with headache. However in unusual cases problems with the heart, blood vessels or brain may cause this. You need another comprehensive medical eye examination with the Eye MD (ophthalmologist), when you schedule it ask to schedule a visual field or peripheral vision test at the same time. You also need a general physical and evaluation by your personal physician.  You can use "Google search engine to learn more about ophthalmic migraine and Google images to pull up pictures of the various types of migraine images.  If you are female and on birth control pills you may need to stop these. Discuss this with your family doctor or GYN doctor.

JCH III MD   Ophthalmologist
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
1731421_tn?1358826971
Timothy D McGarity, M.D.Blank
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D. P.C.
Columbia, MO