blurry vision in one eye years after cataract surgery
I have blurry vision in my left eye and I have had cataract surgery about 5 years ago. I do have high blood pressure and I am hypoglycemic. I have issues with food and sugery drinks and have had to stop drinking coffee and teas. It is getting worse as far as my food intake goes. But I was wondering, can you get cataracts again after the surgery or is it something else? I started getting flashes in front of my eyes sometime after christmas last year, 2010, after I had been eating a lot of chocolates and drinking a lot of coffee. I couldnt focus on the lottery slip when I was trying to fill one out. I had to look at the slip sideways with my periffarl vision. That got better as the day went on but I was left with this blurry vision that wont go away. Can anyone help?
1. In the standard cataract operation the cataract is broken up into dust size particles with ultrasound (phacoemulsification) and the soft part of the lens (cortex) suctioned out of the eye. Thus the cataract as it existed before surgery will never come back.
2. Many people talk about their cataract coming back. Almost all of these are talking about something different where the thin sac that the cataract was nesting in (capsule) turns cloudy. This is common.
3. When the above occurs it does not require another cataract surgery just a very quick painless yag laser procedure (capsulotomy) that cuts a hole for vision to pass through. Takes about 1-3 minutes and requires no incision into the eye.
4. Your other problem with flashes needs to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist. ASAP since your vision is still blurred.

JCH MD