Eye Care Expert Forum
botched cataract surgery??

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

botched cataract surgery??

hi,
  I had cataract surgery on my eye in 2004....now still after 4 years, I see very blurry even with glasses..The doctors told me there was nothing that could be done, and I cannot seem to be fitted with the proper lens (glasses) to make my eye see any better....now....I even see blurry and not clear (jittery) with glasses......What is up with that? Even twice, the retina specialist could not spot anything abnormal and the optomestrists tell me they can not make my glasses any better...result...I use three pair of glasses which I constantly inter-change....one is for seeing far...one is for reading and of course my bi-focals...I end up walking around the house many times without glasses....I had 20/400 in my eyes before surgery.....but now the doctor said something about me having 30 in one eye and 40 in another with glasses...I guess that would be 20/30 and 20/40 which make me see totally .....well lets say..lopsided... anyone else experience this...I am thinking the doctor botched my surgery...

note:.
I did have my  cataract at the age of 51 which was due to using 'prednisone' for asthma for many years..I am only 55 years old..
To: FROM EYE MD
First if you were young and never saw 20/20 in your life you cannot expect to now. Not all people can see 20/20 even with healthy eyes. Vision is distributed along the Bell Curve and 20/20 is the average there are people on both sides of the curve that see better and worse than 20/20   What I'm saying is that some healthy, eyes that do not need glasses and don't have disease may only be able to see 20/30.

I would suggest you see a neuro-ophthalmologist. Find one at www.aao.org

JCH II MD