Eye Care Community
brown eyes, blue ring

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

brown eyes, blue ring

my dad and his side all have blue eyes, while my mom's side all dark brown eyes with the possibility her father's father having blue or green eyes (not sure yet). i have five brothers and sisters (six of us). we all have brown eyes, varying in darkness. my younger sister has the lightest brown eyes while i myself have the darkest (when i was little, they almost looked black) i am 20 years old and a couple years back i was examining my eyes when i noticed that there was a light bluish almost gray ring around my eyes. the same color as my dad's. its not very prominent, you have to look close to see it.

at first i thought something was wrong so i checked out my brothers' and sisters' eyes to see if they had the same thing. they all had a light blue ring around they're brown eyes too. then i checked my mom's eyes to see if this was something all brown eyed people have, but she had a dark greenish/brown ring around her dark brown eyes! i've checked on the internet for what this could possibly be. i dont think its a cataract or some eye problem (i am near sighted so i go to a eye doctor who reports that other than my sight, i have nothing wrong with my eyes) and whenever i am at the doctor, i get no report of cholestral problem or anything like that. besides i am relatively healthy, i am young, and all my siblings who are all younger than me have this too. in my opinion, i think it may be a sort of mixing of my parent's eye colors or something. i didn't notice the blue ring when i was little, but then again i never really looked so i don't know. also i've noticed that my eyes have gotten a bit lighter, a little bit, they don't look as blackish as before. i've read stuff on the internet about people with brown eyes suddenly developing blue eyes or green eyes or hazel eyes (without injury).

has anyone had this and then their eyes changed colors?

This discussion is related to Eyes changing color (Blue rim around dark brown eyes).
I am not certain if the eye color you are seeing is just a color variant in your iris itself or
if it a bluish ring on your cornea. An MD opthalmologist could tell you.

If it is on your cornea, you should have your cholesterol level checked with a blood test as this could be an arcus which, if found in persons under age 40 or so, is often associated with high cholesterol and a long term risk for cardiovascular disease. Your siblings should be evaluated as well.
i know exactly what you are talking about. i have dark brown eyes and i have a brown ring around them. inside the brown ring if you starting all the way out of my iris and pass my color of my eye there is a brown ring. then as you get a little closer the ring is sometimes a blue-grey color and sometimes a blue-green color. my dad doesn't have it but my mom and my sister does.my mother told me her eyes were always like that since birth; so have my sister and mine. it's not any kind of disorder cause i have had several different kinds of health tests, eye exams and mental tests. i am perfectly healthy so are my mom and sister.

for awhile i thought maybe it was just something wrong with my family; i have met others with the same eyes as me that are not of blood related. some of there eyes are lighter and some are darker. honestly i have no clue what it is.
I have the same thing going on with my eyes.  I am a black 51 year old woman with brown eyes and a blue grey ring around it. Been to the eye doctors and they told me nothings wrong with it other than the normal weakness of the muscles which comes with age.  I just did a full medical check up and I don't have cholestrol problems either.  
everyone thinks it pretty....but I am worried about it, since no one seems to know what it is.
I am also a black female, mid-50's with dark brown eyes and blue ring around the iris. I first started noticing it when I was in my 30's.  I am extremely fit (Zumba instructor) and I've never had high cholesterol. Eyes doctors tell me there is nothing to worry about. Actually, I now think it looks rather unique. People often ask me if I'm wearing colored contacts. My Welsh Corgi and I match, sort or, because  he has one blue and one brown eye.
=
I am a 45 year-old black woman and I also have been developing a grey ring around my brown eyes for some years now.  My father's eyes are the same and his are now believe it or not blue.  He is 75.  His eyes started changing when I was little.
=
i have the same thing and im black.I use to have coffee black eyes but now i have brown eyes with a dark blue ring around it, but that is inherited from my father and grandmother.I just dont know how brown and blue mixes like that.But guys that like me always tell me i have pretty eyes and they also change colors with emotions.
=
The light blue ring around the cornea or iris seems to run in my family on my mothers side.  As they get to be around 50 the ring mysteriously appears.  None of them have had any major health issues with the exception of my grandmother who had lung cancer, but that was indicative of her being a life long smoker.  I am in my mid 40's and have not noticed any changes in my eyes yet.  My eye health and physical health as far as cholesterol is good.  
=
I have the exact same thing.  The blue ring appears to be on both sides of my family, but mine are VERY, VERY blue w/ a brown center.  I have excellent medical care, so my eyes are fine and so is my cholesterol.  I assume it's a family trait.
I to have the blue ring going around the iris of my brown eyes that seems to change with my emotions.

lday2@mcvh-vcu.edu

Lewis
I am 51 black woman and my ring appeared about 8 years ago. I do not have hogh cholestrol but I do have high blood pressure and a little anemic, other than that I do not have any other medical problems and I get my blood work done twice a year. I have always been told I have nice eyes but now people think I wear contacts with this blue/gray ring that seems to be getting thicker. My father eyes changed from brown to baby blue when he was in his 60's. I have good eyesight, with a little nearsighted at night , can't read signs until I get close to them but that is expected with age.
my eye doctor said it is nothing to worryabout and that everyone is born with blue eyes and then they change. (I did not believe him), so I am still searching for an answer before I wake up one day and my eyes are blue like my dads, really freaky looking because we expect blue eyes to be on white folks only.
I am a black woman 48 years old from Trinidad West Indies and I noticed that I have dark blue ring around my iris.  I checked with other family members and found that my twin sister, brother and mother and grandmother had the same ring.  Now my mother who is 76 years old has almost completely blue eyes which once where brown.  My daughter was born with blue/gray eyes but her eyes changed within four days to a nice dark brown.  I suspect her eyes will also develop the blue ring when she reaches her forties like me.

Amazingly enough a bit of research into this and I'm finding this trait to be very common among those descendants of the slave trade who came to the Americas (North, South and Central) on ships.

Why do you keep posting your ad for your clinic?  You've offered nothing to the conversation, other than your ad.  Do you believe you should be paid for whatever information you may have?  Well, that's not how this works.  In short, unless you have nothing to add to the conversation; your ad helps virtually no one.