Eye Care Community
brown ring around iris

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

brown ring around iris

I am african american and ever since the age of 12 I started noticing a brown ring around my iris on my sclera
and as I've gotten older it has gotten darker and seems to be getting bigger and also there is some brown spotting in other parts of my sclera. I too was told by my eye doctor that it is normal among darker complexions.  However I dont like it and would like to know what cosmetic procedure I can get to have it removed.  I've also heard it had something to do with my liver or an absence of something in my diet or not enough fruits/vegetables. I would really appreciate some help if any.  For me it feels like having a dingy smile, but instead of not smiling sometimes I dont look at people in the eyes.  

sincerely,

janeen
Dark pigment (melanin) in the conjunctiva (the layer over the while sclera) is normal in blacks and darkly pigmented individuals. It is generally fruitless to remove as it continues to acumulate throughout life. Look at some older blacks and you will see it in most.

Be sure you've had a recent exam by an ophthalmologist Eye MD (not an optometrist).

I believe you greatly overestimate how many people notice it.

JCH III MD