Eye Care Expert Forum
bruised eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

bruised eye

Hello. My mother woke up this morning with a black eye that is painless. It's actually bruised around the upper left eyelid and around the side of the eye closer to the nose. Nothing underneath the eye. She hasn't been hurt in any way and it is painless which I find strange since all the black eyes i've always had have been tender to the touch. She did mention she had the urge to sneeze two times last night but then it went away and she never actually sneezed.

Any ideas? Could it be serious?

Thanks!
This problem can occur due to coughing straining lifting especially in people on blood thinners, steroids, anti-platelet medications, non steroidal antibiotics.  Also if can occure in rare cases due to dilated veins or vascular growths behind or around the eye.

She should see an eye MD to discuss the problem and examine her.

JCH MD