burst blood vessel--can I fly in a plane?
I just got out of the shower where was washing my face and got water and maybe some soap in my eyes.  Now there's a big red patch on the inner side of my right eye that pretty much covers the white.  It's beginning to feel like dry eye, like I can feel air drying out the eye with a very minor burning-type sensation.  From reading other posts, I'm assuming it will heal on its own.  However, I'm due to fly overseas this Friday and I'm wondering about whether cabin pressure will affect it.  Also, would it be okay to use red-eye eye drops and would they do any good?  Any other advice would be great.  Thanks.
Flying should not be a problem. Use the search feature and archives and read about subconjunctival hemorrhage. Artifical tears is likely the best for comfort and prevent dryness on the plane.

JCH MD
Thanks very much for your reply. This morning it feels, actually, like someone hit me in the upper cheekbone right below that eye (no one did). There's swelling under the eye, a dull headache, a bit of burning like dry eye, and a feeling like I just want to close my eyes to avoid strain.  Is this typical?  I couldn't find anything in the archives that was directly relevant. Can I take ibuprofen and/or Aleve?  And should the artificial tears be for red-eye or just any artificial tears?  Thanks so much.
(I was hiking in the mountains yesterday and did put on SPF50 and bug prevention on my face.  Maybe they got in my eye somehow?)
Yes, I have just returned from backpacking around Jackson Hole WY and the sun screen is very irritating when it gets in the eye.

Pain and tearing is NOT typical of subconjunctival hemorrhage. Use a good artifical tear every one to two hours (Opteve, Refresh, Endura, Systane, etc) and a lubricant such as Refresh PM at bedtime.

If not better tomorrow see an ophthalmologist.

JCH MD
I was diagnosed with a perforated eye on Tuesday 2nd August 2016. I can't have an op for it and have been put on antibiotic drops and also oral antibiotics. I go back to see the Consultant on 18th August. We are due to go to Tenerife on 16th September is it going to be alright for me to fly?

Kathy Richmond