Eye Care Expert Forum
capsule tear

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

capsule tear

do capsules regenerate itself
If this is a posterior capsule tear which can occur during cataract surgery, the torn capsule does not regenerate itself.  The tear persists.  Depending on the size and other factors, it may cause no problem at all.  There is a higher risk of retinal problems with a capsule tear, so be sure you (or the person involved) is under the care of a good ophthalmologist.
I had  a second cataract surgery 21/2 weeks ago  My first one on the other eye went well l.This second one was a disaster( to me ) My MD felt very badly...said it had not happened to him in 28 years What I understood is that the "cells of the "sac"  holding the lens dislocated  I guess ,this is the "capsule" . As he was going away for a month ,he sent me to the Ottawa General Eye Institute. several hundred miles away He did mention possible surgery.....
The "cornea specialist"  suggested  I wait, as the cells seemed to be regenerating .I can only see bright lights,dark shapes through a thick cloud. I am more comfortable if I block that eye.
I have not been able to find reading material on"regeneration ' of cells in any of "cataract complication material"
Has this happened to others ?   I was told it may take weeks to several months????If it has happened to others ,how long before vision was restored on its own???