Eye Care Expert Forum
cataract surgery gone wrong

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

cataract surgery gone wrong
My 49 year old husband had what was called "simple" cataract surgery last December.  The surgery lasted for over 2 hours and he was told it was the most difficult surgery the Dr. had done in over 30 years.  He said the eye was an odd size and the lens is now moved and only hanging on by one side and if it dislodges my husband will need emergency surgery, which is dangerous and he may lose his sight.  We don't know where to turn, but we know we need a second opinion for sure.  Does this happen to other people?  Have you ever heard of this?
This is an unfortunate situation since this type of complication is a rare event.  I'll leave it at that.  You simply need to see a board-certified ophthalmolgist who specializes in cataract surgery so you can get a second opinion.  I'm sorry about his trouble.  I don't often hear of such trouble during the case even with extrememly complex and difficult cases.

MJK MD
I have the same problem. My artifical lens has also moved to the side. I would like to have an operation again. However, my eye doctor says there is a 50/50 chance of success.
Since I cannot see anyhow with that particular eye I tend towards having the surgery. 50% are more than what I have now.
What did your doctor tell you?
Fritz