Eye Care Community
cataract surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

cataract surgery

I have floaters in the visual field of my eye sight from pieces of cataract that were left in my eye. The doctor broke my capsule and pieces of the cataract fell back into the vitreous gel. Can I expect these pieces to absorb or reposition in a place where they are not swirling around in the field of my vision? I had the surgery on August 3, 2010.  If so, when should this happen, if at all?
There are two parts to the catarct that is removed: nucleus which is hard, does not disolve and is removed with phacoemulsification ultrasound. These particles are generally removed with a second operation done by a retina surgeon. The other part is cortex which is sucked out of the eye, generally does disolve and is often left in the eye.

Please note that many people note more floaters after cataract surgery because the catarct was blocking view of them, also even the most skilled surgeon will have a capsular break about 1-2% of the time. Ask the surgeon if its cortex or nucleus in the back of the eye. Hopefully its cortex.

JCH MD