cataract sutures
I had cataract surgery on March 26.  My doctor used six stitches.  Six weeks later he removed three of them and gave me a new prescription.  I saw double and my optician suggested a  slab-off  which I agreed to. It has helped but it is still uncomfortable because of the huge difference between the two eyes.  The three stiches are still in my eye.  My vision is 20/25 with the glasses.   My doctor keeps saying they will dissolve.  Does this have anything to due with my vision problems and will he still be able to remove them when I see him in September?   I am unable to read newsprint with my surgically repaired eye without glasses.

R.M.
A lot depends on information I don't have and an examination which I cannot do so I can only generalize.

In most cases I would removed the three stitches since they can take literally years and years to disolve if completely buried in the cornea.

After they were taken out (a couple of weeks) then I would do a final refraction. At that time you could be evaluated for new glasses, contact lens, LASIK or refractive surgery or surgery on the fellow eye.

You might ask why stitches were used as most surgeons don't use any stitches and if the incision leaks then usually one or two is enough to close the wound.

You can also get a second opinion from another Eye MD surgeon.

JCH MD