Eye Care Expert Forum
causes for vitreous separation?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

causes for vitreous separation?

I have seen a specialist and been told I have posterior vitreous separation in my left eye, but no tear or detachment of the retina. It has been 2 weeks since I first experienced the floaters and flashes. The vision, very blurry at first, is definitely improving, although the floaters have not changed and are very annoying. I still see a flash if I look to the left when in darkness, but do not see any flashes in the daylight. Is this a concern of further detachment or just the same separation? Do the floaters ever go away? The doctor told me in time it should get better. I was also told that this could be a precursor to a detached retina so I should have my eyes checked monthly and report any changes. That is all fine,  but as I have not had any injuries to the head or eye, and am not diabetic, what causes this? Is there anything I can do to prevent further problems? Is dry eye a factor, or are there medications that increase one's risk?
I have used Nasonex for some time and I have read that this can be related to some eye problems, but have not read anything in relation to vitreous separation. I was told that being nearsighted makes one more prone to this, but the measurement of my retina showed that it was not thinning, and  my eye pressure is normal. My greatest concern is that it will reoccur or result in a detached retina, when I could be doing something to minimize that risk.
Dear mzw,

A posterior vitreous detachment is a normal change associated with aging, trauma, being nearsighted, to name a few.  Keep track of the number of floaters that you see.  If you experience a sudden change increase in the number of floaters, flashing lights that persist with your eyes closed, or a curtain coming down, you should get checked immediately.  I would recommend that you get your eyes checked again by the retina specialist to make certain there are no tears.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California