Eye Care Community
central serous chorioretinopathy and ankylosing spondylitis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

central serous chorioretinopathy and ankylosing spondylitis

I am a 43 year old female who was recently (April 2009) diagnosed with central serous retinopathy (CSR) when I noticed blurred vision in my left eye.  A month previously I had also begun experiencing extreme fatigue, sore throat, rapid heart rate (this has since cleared), and buzzing and tingling sensations in my lower extremities.  We have ruled out MS, vasculitis and lupus.  The internist suggested the possibility of undifferentiated ankylosing spondylitis (uAS), as I also developed sore knees and low back pain at around the same time, but the rheumatologist did not seem to agree.  I know that it can take years to diagnose uAS, but I am curious.

Are CSR and paresthesia suggestive of uAS (given the knee and low back pain)?  When I stop taking anti-inflammatories (ibuprofin) my knee and back pain return, as does the paresthesia in my knees, feet and groin, which seems to indicate some kind of nerve compression is taking place.

Thanks!