Eye Care Expert Forum
central vision loss

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

central vision loss
my 18 y/o daughter in good health has experienced sudden central vision loss in 1 eye.  her other eye is fine.  the retina specialist can see no problem.  the neurophlamologist sees no obvious problems.  the mri is normal. what other tests should be done?
What is her visual acuity?   Does the blind spot show up consistantly on visual field testing? Is her color vision normal? Are pupils normal?  I have seen a few patients with minor trauma to the eye who had devastating loss of vision due to traumatic optic neuropathy.  I've seen others with painless, sudden vision loss due to ischemia to the optic nerve or other disorder of the optic nerve.  It seems that a retinal abnormality would be easily seen on OCT scan and IVFA angiogram.  If those were normal, then I would focus mostly on the optic nerve -but usually neuro-ophthalmologists can find almost any optic nerve disorder.  Make sure she has a Brain MRI to look for any central problem in the visual pathway or visual cortex.  Sorry, no other thoughts.

MJK MD
See another retina specialist and neuro!!!!!