Eye Care Expert Forum
cholesterol ring in eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

cholesterol ring in eye
im a 30 year old male and i just had an anual eye exam and the doctor told me i have a cholesterol ring in my right eye, is this normal for a 30 year old i dont have insurance and would like to0 know what i can do to correct this
It's probably just a family trait - BUT - sometimes it can be a sign of elevated lipids or cholesterol in your blood.  Your eye doctor should have told you about it. Give him/her a call to clarify just what was seen and strongly consider getting your cholesterol and lipids tested.  The ring is called arcus senilis and if often seen in normal older eyes.  It, in itself is harmless.

MJK MD
A related discussion, cholesterol eye rings was started.
A related discussion, blurred vision was started.