Eye Care Expert Forum
cholesterol rings in eyes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

cholesterol rings in eyes
I have cholesterol rings around my eyes. I had my cholesterol check and could not have had better results. So what else can cause this?
Dear meemaw515,

There are a number of diseases which cause deposition of materials around the eye.  These can be distinguished by the layer of the cornea in which the material is deposited and the type of deposit.  Cholesterol deposition known as arcus is very common in adults over the age of 40.  I would recommend that you see an eyeMD for a complete eye examination.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

A related discussion, Cholesterol Rings, Cobblestone Degeneration, Birthmark was started.