closing tear ducts after lasik surgery
I had lasik surgery 3 months ago and now the doctors want to close my tear ducts due to dry eyes-is this a good idea?
Try having them close it with removable tear duct plugs. If it doesn't work and your eye waters they're easy to remove (except the hidden Smart Plug) don't use it use a "parasol" type.

JCH MD
Before doing anything that is permanent, have you considered using Restasis for your dry eyes?  I had no luck at first with Restasis, but it turned out I had not used it long eneough.  Now, after using it for 2 months, I am noticing a dramatic improvement.  I now do not need any eye drops or eye ointments.  My bottom ducts are plugged.
-
Cheers Dr. John -

I recently (Aug. 30th 2010) had Dacryocystorhinostomy surgery on my right eye.  About 6 years ago, I had a staph infection that blocked my duct and the doctors finally suggested the surgery.  

Moving along ... it's approximately 3 months after the surgery (Stint was taken out 2 weeks ago) and I still have a noticeable lump on the side of my nose which is hard (directly under the scar up to the inside of my eye - scarring under the skin maybe? When I touch it, it is sensitive) with times that my eye is draining and times that my eye is not draining.  

Honestly, it is nice not to have white puss coming out of my eye anymore ... but now it seems I am just encountering another problem ... but with a nice big scar that looks like I am wearing glasses and taking them off all the time.  

Just a bit frustrated and wanted to know of your advice or what to do in this situation.  
Bxq
I have had Sjogen's Syndrome for two years. I tried Restasis, Punctal Plugs, Lacrisert, and every kind of eye solution made. Nothing has helped this annoying problem of constant dry eyes.

Has anyone heard of the surgical procedure that closes the tear ducts?
I plan to ask my doctor about this on my next visit.

Thanks,

Bxq
Z: consider a second opinion from a oculoplastic surgeon. Find one near you at www.aao.org

B closing the tear ducts can be done easily with a plug, or permanently with cautery or laser. Both in office procedure.

JCH MD