Eye Care Expert Forum
cold//swollen eyes
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

cold//swollen eyes

i have a cold. runny nose. sore throat,  but my eyes this morning were swollen . one more than the other and on the less swollen one the eyelid has a bump in it, . any suggestions? , taking an antihistamine, plus eye drops. allergy, eye drops, plus doing saline nose rinse. ice pack,  eyes also itch a little. any suggestion? thanks Kevin
Related Discussions
1735584_tn?1311113373
Sounds like you have some swelling around your eyes secondary to the poison oak exposure.  As long as the vision is stable and you don't notice any increased redness or yellow/green discharge from the eyes, an infection in the eyes is less likely.  I would try lubrication with over the counter artificial tears for symptomatic relief of the itching and discomfort (even better if you are able to put the tears in cold by storing them in the fridge)  Wash your hands so you don't spread the rash to other family members!
3 Comments
Blank
535882_tn?1396580285
went to doc today ,, he says its  my rash(poison oak)  that i got into my eyes was prescribed prednisone(tablets)  for 7 days  plus an ofc antihistamine  plus lotion for skin, does this sound right, ? he said should be much better in 3 days. thanks Kevin
Blank
1735584_tn?1311113373
That sounds appropriate.  Given some people can have elevation in eye pressure while on steroids (prednisone), it would be advisable to have your eye pressure checked during your visits to make sure they are within the normal range.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center
Van Nuys, CA
MedHelp Health Answers