Eye Care Community
congenital cataracts in 7 year olds

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

congenital cataracts in 7 year olds

My 7 year old son told me the other day that he couldn't see properly out of his right eye. I took him to the Optomitrist who diagnosed "a posterior congenital cataract over the lens".

My son has never complained about he eye sight before. His eyes look perfectly normal and there is no sign of any difference even when he is tired. We had his eyes tested at birth and this condition was either not there, or not picked up. My Husband has the same condition from birth, however his has always been very visible and he has very little vision from the right eye. At that stage there was no technology to operate successfully on his eye.

We are only able to get an appointment with the recommended Opthomologist on the 2nd June this year. I have been told by others "in the know" that I should try and seek another Specialist as time is of the essence.

Does this condition worsen over a short period of time? Could he have had this cataract since birth if his eyes look normal? How difficult is surgery and recovery at this age if he has had the cataract since birth?

Many thanks
Shelley
Did your son's pediatrician check the vision on the well baby exam?   At age 7 it maybe hard to correct.   He may also have amblyopia which get more difficult to correct after about age 5.

Dr. O.
Yes, the Ped checked my Son's vision and found nothing unusual. However I am not sure how thourough that test was.Due to the eyes looking so normal and the fact that he has never complained about poor vision, I thought everything was fine and haven't ever thought he had problems. We are trying to get someone a bit sooner than 2nd June to examine. Could you tell me what amblyopia is?
Cataracts aren't visible without optical equipment so a regular pediatrician is unlikely to have spotted it without a proper eye exam (is that what you meant?). Congenital means he was born with it so if that were the case, I wouldn't worry about waiting another couple of months. Most cataracts take years to develope, albeit usually older people get them in their 50s or much later; obviously a 5-year old is somewhat different.

If you're still worried, go back to the optomitrist - if (s)he can see the cataract then (s)he will be able to see whether it's changed since the last checkup.