Eye Care Expert Forum
constant nerve twitching under right eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

For the last several weeks a nerve under my left eye  will twitch continuously.  This normally happens late in the evening,  usually after eight o' clock, and occasionally early in the morning when I first wake up.  It is sometimes associated with my eyes being very dry.  It can be very distracting , breaking my concentration from whatever I am doing.  Several times it  has  initiated a low grade eye strain, leading into a  headache.  Do you have any idea what could be causing the nerve twitching under the eye?  
This is called myokymia and is related to caffeine or other stimulants, or stress, or lack of sleep or eye irritation.  I have had it several times before.  It should resolve in week or two usually.  Avoid caffeine or other stimulants and get plenty of sleep.  The eye strain and possible headache could be related so try to get some rest, reduce stress and possibly take some artificial tears.

MJK MD