Eye Care Expert Forum
contact lens stuck in eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

contact lens stuck in eye

My contact lens ripped in half when I tried to take it out.  Half has been stuck in my eye overnight, and does not want to come out. I've tried eye drops, water aplshed in my eye, rubbing my eye. I suppose I'll have to go to the doctor.  Any other suggestions?
If you can't get it out try and see your fitter today. If you can't reach them and it's uncomfortable go to an emergency room.

JCH MD
If there's a Lenscrafter-type chain in your area (which tend to be open on Sunday), you might try them before you head over to the ER for a long wait.  Probably best to call first.
contact stuck in back of the eyelid 10 hours. Out of the country and really don't want to lookup an eye doc.  Any suggestions?
the same thing happened to me, I never got it out, will it harm your eye to leave it in.

it does not bother me and I can't even tell it is in my eye.
It is harmful to leave a contact lens in the eye for months to years. Even if it's pushed way back up under the lid where you can't feel it, the contact can damage your eye muscles or the muscle that holds the eye lid up.    

JCH III MD Eye MD
A similar issue has arised with me today.  I slept in my conatacts overnight due to forgetfulness, and now my left contact will Not come out.  It feels like a sticker in on my eye.  I've tried using solution (a good half bottle ), a long shower, washing my face, and holding a hot cloth over my closed eye. Still yet the contact feels the same way.  I can feel the edge of the contact in my eye but it is very hard to see it.  I would like to avoid going to a doctor, but it looks like thats the only thing left I can do.  
First check to see if your vision is "good", if it is then the contact is in and on the cornea. If the vision is "bad" then the contact is either not in the eye or not on the cornea. We see patients all the time that think the contact lens is in the eye when its really come out. It's easy to scratch or damage the cornea if you're trying to take out a not really there contact.

IF you think the contact is still there and you've tried wetting solution every 5 minutes for 20 minutes to rehydrate it and it won't come out head immediately to whoever fit you. They should be able to determine if its still in and if it is to get it out.

JCH III MD Eye MD
Thanks for your reply!!  Turns out the contact wasn't there after all.
I am only 13 and I really want contacts! I am a bit of a "scaredy cat" because I am afraid that:

#1: I will not be able to take the contacts out.
#2: The contacts could get stuck in my eyes.

I just need some advice; if contacts are right for me.

Thanks for your time.
Only you, your parents and an ophthalmologist or optometrist can answer that.

JCH MD
I suggest you see whomever fit your contact lens to look at your cornea and see if any damage was done. That would be more productive than going to your GP.

JCH III MD Ophthamologist
Recently the contact lens in my right eye became so stuck to my eye that i had a lot of problems getting it out I ended up ripping the contact lens right in half finally after much scratching of my right pupil I managed to get the other part out successfully, not so successfully in the morning I had double vision in my right eye.  Did I manage to scratch the cornea?? THis has happened to me before about 3 yrs ago and i ended having to go to my GP and he gave me some drops for my eye I realize that this is hard to diagnose but am i experiencing the same thing that I had 3 yrs ago?
A related discussion, contact stuck in eye was started.
A related discussion, Contact stck in eye was started.
A related discussion, contact lense stuck on eye was started.
A related discussion, Contact lens was started.