Eye Care Expert Forum
contact stuck in eye
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

contact stuck in eye

i took out my contacts to get a shower. when i got out i put them back in and the right one was blurry so i tried to take it out but it wont come out. what do i do
Related Discussions
284078_tn?1282620298
I often see people with painful scratches all over the eye from trying to REMOVE a contact that IS NOT THERE.  I would make very sure that the  contact is not there and the only way you can do that is by carefully evaluating your vision to see if the desired contact effect is there.  If you really think it is there and can't get it out, flood it with lots of sterile contact lens solution and try not to gouge your eyes.  See an ophthalmologist if you have pain, or vision loss or redness or other signs of infection.

MJK MD
3 Comments
Blank
Here's an emergency technique you can try:  Close your right eye and then apply light pressure to the inner and outer corners of your eye socket (with one finger on inner corner and another on outer.)  This will usually push the contact back into wearing position.  Apply re-wetting drops or a couple of drops of wetting/saline solution before removing.

Hope this works.  It would be a downer to spend Xmas day in the ER.
Blank
517208_tn?1211644466
Dear crick23,

I would recommend that you use tear drops to try to move the contact lens before trying to remove it. If you still cannot assess, look in high power magnifying mirror.  You can always seek care at an urgent care to help.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700