Eye Care Expert Forum
crossing of the eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

crossing of the eye

I guess my question should be more clear. I have a friend whose niece has had a history of neglect. This has bothered me for a long time. She was removed from the custody of her mother, and given to her father. Her step mother says she can't love this beautiful little girl as her own. I have been upset with what is happening to this little girl for a long time. I can only stand by and watch because I have no legal rights. I did call childrens protective service while she was in the custody of her mother. I hadn't seen the baby for 8 months, then today while visiting my friend, I got to see her, and could not believe her crossed eye...I know you can develope this condition through a stroke etc. but I want to know if a hit to the head or another blow could cause this problem.
If she has "crossed eyes" or strabismus, she may very well have been born with the condition and the causes could very well be genetic.  I cannot know the exact cause, of course.  I'm sorry about the difficult social situation you spoke about.  Regarding the "crossed eyes" - it is very important that the child sees a pediatric ophthalmologist right away so she can receive proper evaluation and treatment.  Perhaps you can be an encouragement and help in some way to get this done.

MJK MD
1 Comment
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, eye crossong was started.