Eye Care Community
defective IOL?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

defective IOL?

hello- I am 36 yrs old.  I had IOLs put in in 97.  I have always had small halos ever since.  Seems in the past 5 years the halo effect is geting worse in both eyes but more in the right.  When my right eye tries to focus on the sun, or a certain light, it has a "disco-ball" type effect around the light until my eye focuses as best it can.  If i look the other direction into the same light, the disco effect is still present, only it is "counter-clockwise" in the same direction of the eye. Kind of streaky.    Similar to what floaters do when you attempt to catch them in your visual field.  The amber street lights at night are horrible in the right eye.  The symptoms best described are as if I am looking through a defective peice of plastic.  Reminds me of what plastic headlights on cars do after several years.  They break down or something.  Has anyone out there ever heard of something like what I describe about  my IOL?  I have been to many doctors and eyes check out fine, IOLs look clear.  Is it possible that what I am seeing, the doctors may not be able to see with their equipment?  I'm trying my hardest to make it, and this is a big problem every day while working.  Please let me know if anyone has heard of a similar situation.  Thanks.....
Tags: eyes, years
If your symptoms were caused by the IOL being out of place or the membrane behind the IOL turning cloudy the ophthalmologists that examined you would be able to see those problems.

All types of IOLs may cause these visual abberations, they go by many names ghosting, arching, steamers, starbursts, flare, glare  collectively they are called IOL dysphotopsia.

You should have a card that gives the manufacturer and model number. You can do an internet search and see if that model has more trouble with these problems than others.

In the most extreme instance sometimes eye drops like alphagan-P or weak pilocarpine are tried to keep the pupil small at night.

In the most extreme instance an IOL exchange is sometimes done. This is a big operation.

JCH III MD
I really do appreciate your responding.  I have had a hard time getting any information frm anyone.  I do realize that I am very fortunate to have any eyesight considering my circumstances.  My eyes have been through alot in addition to the fact that my left eye is 'misaligned'.  I can get the information from my charts from when my IOLs were implanted in 97.  I think I will try researching the specific brand as you suggessted. On the Alphagen and the Pilo, I have tried both and no changes.  The Pilo was like having on liquid sunglasses at night.  Scary driving.  Even on overcast days when cars run their lights It is very very distracting and horriblle and it hinders my work.  I have grown to hate Christmas becaue of all the light scatter . I do have an astigmatism in my right eye that is corrected with glasses.  Even have a set of Toric contacts.    The imagines are fine.  The acuity is fine.  Its all about light sources.   On my overall eye health, my IOPs run 18 in the left and 19 in the right.  No diseases found.   Healthy retina.  etc..  All doctors say my IOLs are good centered and clear.   I found one doctor that said he would consider an IOL exchange, but he made sure to give me a good 'tongue-lashing'.  Understandable, considering the high risk involved.  I certainly do understand risk.  I am at the point that I will lose my job before too long as it requires much of my time in the dark,  in dark buildings , working nights,  on and on. Limiting my activities to day only, including work.   I have dealt with this for many years and it is where  i'm at a cross-roads.  Take a chance on a lens exchange, knowing it may or may not help, and or confirm that it is a clear case of Amblyopia and will not get better.  Either scenario will be life-changing for me but life has not been easy with these eyes   I wore coke bottles and hard contacts from 1978 til 1997. , all through school.  Loved it.(kidding!)   I'm a 36 year old man 18 years away from retirement and I don't have 18 years of good vision from what i'm seeing.  People say it could be worse.  I tell them that when they get what I have they will know what worse is.  Funny thing is that I did not have any of these problems before the IOLs.  Even with the coke-bottle glasses.   I have learned early on that good eye-sight is a privledge not a given.  I will search for my IOL info, as you suggested.  I do believe that it a basic and nothing special as I was just a triage.  I will be getting back with you in the future.  Again, I do appreciate you taking the time to read about my situation.  It is truly hard to find persons in the medical field to "listen" and be human.  I'll be back!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are a few ophthalmologists that deal with IOL complications. They are both highly skilled and highly experienced with the problems you have. Most any ophthalmologist will know their names, for instance in Cincinnati Dr. Robert Osher takes care of a lot of problem cases such as yours.  Find such a surgeon and discuss IOL exchange.

JCH III MD
Thanky you for taking the time to read and listen.  Love the forum thing......
You are welcome and on half of the 'American Academy of Ophthalmology and the Eye Care Forum MDs we wish you well.

JCH III MD
It is now 2013 and I am coming up on one year since I had my eyes operated on and I have, as I call it "a party in my eyes," because ever since my surgeries I have had a constant disco ball effect going on in my eyes.  After the first implant, the doctor decided to use a different type on the other eye, which made no difference and then 5 months later went back into the first eye and replaced the first lens with the same type as the second eye but as of yet the party continues on with no evidence of letting up.  I went to see a specialist, who has written numerous articles on this problem, and he told me "Just ignore it, it will go away."  It is impossible to ignore it.   I was wondering after all this time if you have had any relief from your problem?

Respectfully
Connie
***@****
=
Connie,
Did you have cataracts prior to the IOL surgery? What was the reason for you initial surgery? My father had cataract surgery on both eyes in Winnepeg, Manitoba on the same day, drove three hours home and is perfectly fine. Just needs reading glasses. He had the surgery about 10 years ago and is perfectly fine. I hope all gets better for you. I have a cataract forming in my left eye due to retina surgery..vitrectomy..I am cautious about the cataract surgery going forward as I have floaters in my right eye as well. My left I has become myopic, so there is a quite a difference in the eye diopters. -3.5 in left and +.75 in right.
=