Eye Care Community
degenerative myopia prognosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

degenerative myopia prognosis

Hello everybody I have a question.

I am a high myope -23 both eyes. I know that those thing such get blind etc. nobody knows if this will happen or not. And that talking about this is just guessing. So i wonder what is the situation now in 2012. Because of AVASTIN or maybe some new research or maybe pioneer researches, what is prognosis of a pathological myopia today. It's better or it is still a black scenario. Seems the future bright right now for us or not yet?

I know that is not a good think thinking about it, but i started a career in interactive computer design and engineering and i have very big plans for the future but i can't help me, this thing about myopia is stressing me out sometimes and i just can't clear my mind about this. With contact lenses i see very good now. 20/40 and i have a tiny tiny atrophy in my right eye but i barely notice it because is almost in the periphery vision.

And another question. When i search through the internet the prognosis of degenerative myopia is very bad but in real life i know like 5 high myopes like me and they are some 40 some 70 now. And only one have a detachment of retina but now is ok and a second person has problems with glaucoma but uses timolol and now is fine. It is rare that 5 high myopes have almost no problem or no?

Thank you very much:)
Use the search feature and archives and read the many informative posts about path myopia PM. Bottom line things are getting better all the time. Lucentia, Avastin and VEGF trap-EYE all improve maculopathies associated with neovascular membranes.

5 D PM may or may not have problems.

Think positive. Live your life with purpose and go into the field you want.

JCH MD
thank you very much :)

yes of course i looked but many posts are from 2007. And some are very positive some are very negative. I didn't understand 5 D PM??? can u please tell me what that means.

Of course i have to think positive. Right now i have no problems but i have this fears that one day everything would turn upside down... i know that i will not be completely blind, but for living being a professor or working in that area i will have to read a lot and working with computers, mobile devices and other devices a lot.

Now with new contact lenses i see very well.. but before i have 7 years contacts 4 diopters less than i should have (my myopia is ow stable 7 years now) than the my eye doctor gave me those lenss because she saw that my eyes are stage. My point is that with -4 i didn't see very well but still i could read and do all other stuff. So my question is.. in your i thing very long and professional carrier... how many patients with degenerative myopia that can still read and study and work normally do you have....

thank you a lot i hope i am not annoying with those questions :)

We have to think positive!!!!
oh sorry and i didn't mean that 5D high myopes.... i meant 5 people with myopia from -12D to -25D i know between 40 and 60 yrs don't have any serious problem with their vision.... is this a rare thing/luck or can be normal?
5 diopters of pathologic myopia

There may be some statistics on high myopes of -23 and the % that develop progressive myopic degeneration but if so I am not familiar with them. You will have to do your own literature search.

You could get your best information by discussing this with your personal retina MD ophthalmologist.

JCH MD
My daughter is having high myopia we found at the age of 3 yrs, it was -13.25 (left) and 14.50 (right). she was not using eye glass regularly. Now 4 yrs its increased -13.75 (Left) and -17.25 (right). am worried about her vision, it will affect her education and future. kindly give an advice and suggestion.
Use the search feature and archives and read the many posts and informative discussions about progressive myopia and pathologic myopia an myopic macular degeneration and high myopia

JCH MD
I'm sorry about your daughter's high myopia.  Where are you located? (city and state/country)?  

There are a few high myopia clinics that may be able to help your daughter, or at a minimum be sure she is getting the best possible monitoring for her high myopia.