Eye Care Community
dent in my scleras

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

dent in my scleras

I have, for lack of a better explanation, a dent in my scleras. It looks as if one side of the eyes (the sclera side near the nose) is caving in. I had a pressure test done and my pressures were 17 and 16 (dont remember which measurement for each eye it was) so I dont think its hypotony. I have a history of a left frontal lobe fracture which created a fracture from my left orbital rim down the back and to the left of my cheek with possible mucousal thickening in my ethmoid sinuses. This " indentation" is occurring in both eyes, accompanied by pain. As time goes on the indentation keeps getting worse and Im afraid this indentation will reach my pupil and distort my vision. My ocuplastic surgeon denied seeing it while my cornea specialist said he could see these deformities. I have sever eye pain, dry eyes, and white mucus (coming from my sinuses?) that forms at the corners of my eyes throughout the day and burns. Antibiotics and steroids haven't worked however the steroids reduced the pain. My question is what specialist should I see, and if this could be some kind of disease at the molecular level. PLEASE ADVISE ME ON WHAT I SHOULD DO!!! Thank you.
The main disturbance is the pain. You may have "scleritis"  My suggestion would be to get a second opinion from a different cornea specialist. You can find one at www.aao.org or you can ask your present cornea MD for a second opinion from a colleague that he values for the most for "some help".

JCH MD
Thanks alot for the response doctor. Is there a name ( if they exist) of cornea specialists that deal specifically with scleral diseases/conditions. Also, would it be recommended for someone with scleral thinning/scleritis to take Prednisolone AC 1% 5ml eye drops because they help with the eye pain even though it doesnt get rid of the deformity of the pinched (indented) eyes.
I have answered this question on your other post.
JCH MD