Eye Care Expert Forum
deteriorating eyesight

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

deteriorating eyesight

I am 21 years old and my eyesight is very poor. 13.5 in the left eye and 14.0 in the right. I just got a new prescription two months ago and I think I already need a new prescription. my eyesight has been changing every six months for two years. The doctors say my eyes are healthy, any ideas?
Hello Baton Twiler   I will assume that those numbers have a minus (-) in front of them an you are highly myopic or nearsighted. Remember with refractive errors it's not your vision WITHOUT glasses or contacts that's important but you best vision WITH glasses or contacts. In other words if you see 20/20 or 20/25 with thick glasses/contact lens you are better off that someone that doesn't need glasses but because of disease or injury can't see better than 20/100.

Read the informative posters recently here on the two eye forums on high myopia. You can think of myopia as like a growth spurt of the eye. If a person suddenly decides at 6 foot 2 inches they don't want to be in taller they're pretty much out of luck if genetics have programed them to grow to 6 foot 8 inches.

See an opthalmologist (Eye physician MD) yearly. You will see better with contact lens because of the strong glasses making things look smaller than they are.

JCH III MD  Eye Physician and Surgeon
I remember that my eyes once changed 2 diopters in one year when I was your age.  Then the changes slowed down - maybe half a diopter every other year or three.  I was about -9 at your age, -16 in my mid 50s.  I'm glad your eyes are healthy.  Check out past threads in this forum for info on how to keep them healthy.
Hi Baton twirler,

Glad your eyes are healthy. Mine was about -13D and -15D at 21 years old.

Now is about -18D and -20D and I am now 33. However, still wearing a -14D and -16D prescriptions tho, as I have been wearing it for years without noticing much changes, so whenever I change my specs frame/lens, I just asked for the same prescriptions without bothering to have it examed.

Until I have a hemorrhage in my left eye few months ago, then went to the RS to have my eyes examined, was told I have lacquer cracks in my eyes. Then realised my eyes were not very ok. My last eye exam prior to this incident was more than 10 years ago, and I supposed it was quite ok then as the RS examining my eyes then didn't say it was not ok.

Pigeonca: I am abit surprised that your presciption was -9 in your 20s. Do you mind me asking how much was it when you were in your 30s? How old were you then it began to stabilise?

I am quite worried that mine will not stabilise, as I heard that is supposed to be the case for degenerative myopia. However, some people said even for degenerative myopia, it will stabilise for long period of time, whereas others said in your 30s or 40s :(

I can't imagine what further damages will there be or by when will I lose my sight if it continues to grow or stretch further.

Anyway, I asked to have an A-scan done to measure the axial length so that at least I can keep track of the progress. Though don't think there is going to be any effective solution even if it continues to grow further :'<

I was told by my MD that myopia is genetic.  No one can predict.  It is in God's hand.  Dr JCD III  is correct in his 9/10 response to baton twirler