Eye Care Expert Forum
deteriorating eyesight

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

deteriorating eyesight
is there anything that would cause my eyesight to rapidly deteriorate within ~6mo?  I'm female, 45 and it great health.  i got prescription glasses a year ago for the first time since I was in 3rd grade but got the "reading glasses syndrom" once I turned 40.  I've not worn my prescription glasses much because I never could get used to the progressive lens and have another annual appt in Oct.  Just wondering if its usual for eyesight to get bad so quickly.

thanks!
Most likely you are "farsighted". Normal sighted eyes retain a good focus for distance vision and only require reading glasses. Farsighted eyes, first blur for reading vision but eventually also blur for distance vision and it can seem to change rapidly.  If you are farsighted, you will eventually require either two pairs of glasses or bifocals.  You should be able to figure all this out after your next exam