Eye Care Expert Forum
different size pupils and one not to reactive to light

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

hello my two year since I can remember has always been sensitive to light, since months old,, just the other day I noticed her pupils were different sizes, which I heard can be normal, but also I started to examine her my self and noticed the bigger pupil is the right eye and is more non responsive to light, it stays dilated, the left dilates but is still a different shape?? is this why the light irritates her?? should I take to her to the er or do something??please any info would be helpful
She needs to be examined by a pediatric ophthalmologist.  If you can't get in with one right away, take her to your pediatrician who can do a basic exam then refer to a specialist more quickly if deemed necessary.  Does not sound normal though so should be checked out.

HV