Eye Care Community
dilated pupils in my 4 yr old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

dilated pupils in my 4 yr old

I've noticed my daughter's eyes are always dilated and she isn't on any medication. Why is this? Should I take her to the eye doctor?
Thank you
Young children and adolescents have the largest pupils infants and the very old have the smallest. If her pupils are equal and constrict in light and with focusing and their are no other problems then she just has big pupils. I have a cousin that had 4 mm pupils in his younger years.

If you daughter has not had an eye exam in the last 3 years then she is overdue. See an Eye MD. VERY IMPORTANT  when she's checked do not let the techs put drops in the eye until the Eye MD looks and tests the pupils.

Find an Eye MD near you at www.aao.org

JCH III MD