Eye Care Expert Forum
dirt in eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

dirt in eye
5 year old had dirt thrown in eyes.  After flushing, one eye can be opened after an hour.  Several hours later the other eye still needs a compress to feel ok.  Not severe pain, but how lomg should it take before you can open the eye without irrittation?  If the eye can not be opened after several hours would the cornea most likely be scratched?
There could still be some particles of dirt or sand embedded under the upper eyelid or even on the cornea and/or there could be some degree of cornea abrasion.  The eye could be open to infection also.  I would use sterile artificial tears every 15 -30 minutes or so for a couple of hours and if irritation persisits, then call your doctor and get your child in to see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible.  Good Luck.

Michael Kutryb, MD
Used this product called Thera Tears.   Worked on contact to the point where my daughter has her eye opened. This is a preservative free product they call a medical breakthrough. She had no stinging and had immediate relief.  

My wife and I thank-you for your quick response.