Eye Care Community
double vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

double vision

I am a 50 year old male who has struggled with double vision most of my adult life. It started when I was 21 and was caused by a large cyst that ws in my left sinus causing the eyes to bevome misaligned. they removed the problem and my double vision was not as bad, so I was given prism galsses to wear. This helped me till I was 30. Then my double vision got worse again, this time they did eye muscle surgery to fix it. It did work, but 8 months later they had to do a corrective procedure because it came back. Then in 1999 they had to do eye surgery again, this time both eyes were worked on, this took longer to heal. Once again I was fine till in 2006 I started having problems again, they gave me prisms in my glasses again and this did help for awhile, but when my eyes would get fatiqued my eyes would wonder and the double vision would come back. Well finally after seeing doctors from all over philadelphia in January 2009 I had both eyes done again. This time my eyes ended up over corrected causing my double vision to flip flop the other way, also I had a great deal of eye pain all the time in my right eye and when I would lay down my double vision would get worse. The doctor finally after months of waiting sent me to John Hopkins for there opinion and basically they recomended that the right eye be redone. Well I had the 5th eye operation done at the Penn Eye Center by the same doctor who did the 4th. This was back in November 2009. I still have double vision issues especially when trying to read or work on the computer, and I still am getting eye pain every day, and there is some scar tissue in the corner of my right eye. At this point I do not know what to do, and where to go for another opinion, I feel that this doctor may have over procedured me. Before these last two operations when I was at work, I would lso get eye pain in both eyes alnong with double vision, even wearing the prisms. I am near sighted and have been since I was 8 years old. Also since most of the work I have done all my life is close up the doctors always gave me two pair of glasses to wear one for distance and one for close up both with prisms in them. Prior to the fourth surgery my degree of prisms was 15 to 25, after the 4th surgery it jumped to a range of 30 to 45. Now after this 5th operation its 6 to 15 degrees. There was also some exposure to a chemical in 2005 at my job that made me very sick, and did make my eyes itchy. Also where I was working they make a product at least 4 times a year that smells up the office, and this also would bother me is there any connection that this aggreavated my eye muscles???
Nothing you smell will make the eye muscles problem worse. Many cases of strabismus cannot be made to have all the goals of normal eyes: 1. good vision each eye 2. cosmetically straight eyes 3. straight eyes in all directions, good vision and perfect depth perception.

As long as you are under the care of an Eye MD strabismus/pediatric specialist likely that is all that can be done. Your eyes will never be perfect. Know that any blood relative of yours: children, grandchildren nieces nephews havea 20% of getting this problems. the should see an pediatric ophthalmologist between age 2 1/2 and 3.

JCH MD
Thank you Dr. Hagan, for your reply. I understand about the issues of the smells. But I was not born with double vision issues or any eye problems other than being nearsighted as I got older. This double vision was caused by a trauma I had was I was 17 playing baseball I got hit in the face at my left cheek bone. I did not know at the time but it caused a small bone fracture which got imbedded in my left sinus wall, and it developed into a large cyst with a lot of fuild around it, exrays and a cat scan showed it was causing the left eye to shift slightly up, causing a misalignment, and accounding to the doctors at the time since was so gradual I did not feel any pain and by the time I started to experience my double vision at 21, the damage to the eye muscles was already done.

Also efen before I had these two latest eye surgeries I would get a lot of eye pain sometimes in both eyes, along with headaches, especially when I would do anything close up for extened periods of time...why?

And since these last two surgeries I have scar tissue in the right eye since that eye had to be redone, and the doctors spent 3 hours removing the previous scar tissue, but this eye is in contant discomfort and new scar tissue as formed in the corner, and tends to get red during the day from time to time. He has prescribed Neurontin 300mg, 2x a day, and so far this as not helped. Also he stopped all precription eye drops because my eye pressure in the right eye is a little high, he just as me using over the counter natural tears.
-