Eye Care Community
double vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

double vision

I am one week post-op for cataract surgery and I am still experienceing the same double vision in my eye that was present before the lens implant.  Surgeon made mention of monocular (sp?) vision and has set me up for new glasses in two weeks.  Is this too soon or should I postpone to see if the double vision clears ?  I also currently have a slab-off type prescription in my other eye which he feels might not be needed in new glasses. (I have found this type of correction intolerable)     I had suggested AK or PRK to correct astigmatism in that eye before new glasses are prescribed - he appears to be "skirting" that issue and rushing to get new glasses fitted.  I  really don't want to spend several hundred dollars on glasses that I may not "still" be able to see comfortably with--any suggestions
You should get glasses when your refraction is stable.  Why do you want the astigmatism corrected with surgery?  It can be fixed by glasses.

Dr. O.
Dr. Oyakawa,

In your experience with the Alcon toric lens, is achieving a desired target of “plano” for good long distance vision difficult to attain?   If a target of 2 meters is chosen is that close enough to “plano” to give good long distance vision and avoid the risk of “overcorrecting”?  

Is it possible to have good distance vision with the Alcon toric lens when one has modified or mini-monovision -- i.e. if surgical eye is corrected to "plano" and the second eye is corrected to the mini-vision.  Or can one only get good long distance vision (15-20 feet, reading street signs, watching a play) if one has both eyes corrected to "plano".

Is it advisable to “redo” the biometric measurements (especially if there was a difference between the 2 eyes) if one is considering a IOL explant/exchange on the surgical eye?

Thank you for your responses.     Sincerely,   rsdixon      
The achievement of target is very good.  Usually 95% with 0.5 Diopters.  Toric is more difficult to achieve target in this sense but harder in a sense that you have to place the IOL on the correct axis.  I am not sure what you mean by a target of two meters. Many doctors target -0.25 to -0.50 to prevent overcorrection.

I have patients with good uncorrected distance vision with poor intermediate (piano).  A lot depends on the person..  With minimonovision most patient will see well with both eyes as long as the distance eye has achieved target and has no significant residual astimgatism (less than 0.50).

One redoes biometry if the result are off more than expected.

You really need to discuss this with your surgeon or get a second opinion.  It is hard to know what you problem is without corrected and uncorrected vision.

Dr. O.