Eye Care Expert Forum
droopy eyelid after pterygium surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

droopy eyelid after pterygium surgery
I had pterygium surgery one month ago and my upper eyelid is still droopy.  After surgery I used zylet drops for two weeks and switched to lotemax afterwards.  I want to know if my eyelid will go back to normal  or will for ever stay droopy?  I would appreciate your answer.
Gaby
A droopy upper lid is quite common after ocular surgery, and will frequently resolve on its own.  I would wait another 3-4 months.  If there is still a bothersome droop at that time, then an oculoplastic surgeon will be able to fix the lid with a procedure.  Most likely, that will not be necessary.
I had a Vitrectomy/membrane peel surgery about 1 1/2 years ago and I too noticed my surgery eye lid drooping post surgery.  The surgeon said that it was from the speculum (sp?) that held my lids open during surgery.  Sometimes the lid muscles get stretched and sometimes damaged.
My droopy eye got better and now I don't even notice it.  I took photos of myself periodically to see the improvement...but it helped to take my mind off of it.  
Sometimes the more we focus on something, the worse it appears.

Good luck with improvement,,,
give it time.