Eye Care Expert Forum
droopy lid

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

droopy lid

I scratched my left cornea and inner eye lid in December.  Now my eyelid won;t stay open.  My doctor says I have third nerve palsy.   It is affecting my driving home at night and now my other eye is seeing double.  Everything seems dim now.   I am diabetic, so this eye really scares me.  What can be done to help this?  Surgery of some kind, or can it be helped without surgery?
Make sure you are seeing an MD/ ophthalmologist for this.  Third nerve palsy in diabetics could be either something temporary or represent something more serious.  As long as your pupil is normal and there is no pain, your doctor might decide to wait and see if it improves on its own.  If either of those two is present though, immediate neuroimaging is indicated.  Just make sure you are seeing an MD for this.

HV