Eye Care Expert Forum
drusens

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

drusens
I had a 2 year check-up by a MD ophthalmologist physician. He said my eye sight had not changed in 2 years and everything looked good. He did say I had 5 to 10 very small drusens in each eye, but said not to worry that he sees this sometimes in people at my age (60).But I looked drusen up on the internet and it talks about macular degeneration. Now I am really worried that I will lose my sight. Should I see some one for a second check up ? THANKS
I answered this questions on the patient to patient forum

JCH III MD
To: JCH III MD
He said they were very small hard drusens(10).He had me look at a amseler grid and  some small parts were missing with a bump on some of the lines.He took pictures of my eye and put a dye in my arm and took more pictures,said tests looked good.He said drusens some times will cause irregular vision.Do you agree with this? Would you get a second appt.with a doctor, should I take supplements ? THANKS
Yes you should take an AREDS like supplement plus a multivitamin and Yes your work-up seems adequate. Be sure you return as directed for regular exams.

JCH III MD
Do you agree with the doctor that the drusens can cause irregular vision in that eye ?