Eye Care Community
epiretinal membrane

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

epiretinal membrane

This discussion is related to Epiretinal membrane peel.

If I postpone surgery for this condition will the vision loss be permant it I wait?
Varies, sometimes yes sometimes no only looking at your eyes will tell. Most ERM are small, relatively or completely assymptomatic and do not need surgery.

JCH III MD
You've posted some helpful comments about ERM, though not for a while.  My Dx, confirmed by second opinion, indicates surgery.  (ERM for 9 years; pseudohole; 20/40 until last six months; now 20/70.)  I've pretty much accepted the need for surgery, but would like to know more about risks and success rates.  Can you suggest any sources for stats? Might you have some you could post?  How does one locate the "best docs" for such surgery?
There are many helpful protracted discussions from people that have had ERM surgery. You can access them using the search and archives features. JodieJ has in particuliar posted a lot of very helpful information about her surgery. As to success statistics it varies so much depending on the size of the ERM, whether there is hole formation, how deep the hole is etc, that looking for information that way is likely less rewarding. Since ERM is a common problem almost all retina surgeons have a lot of experience doing the surgery. YOu can go to www.aao.org and find one near you.

THe positioning after macular hole surgery can be a bear and you should bead up on that also if you will have to do face down positioning.

JCH MD
I'll quote the conclusions of a recent study by Asaria et al ("A Prospecive Study of Binocular Visual Function before and after Successful Surgery to Remove a Unilateral Epiretinal Membrane").  "Improvement in visual acuity after surgery was greater in patients with visual symptoms of shorter duration.  A unilateral epiretinal membrane adversely affected steroscopic function, an effect that increased with time.  The best monocular and binocular visual outcomes occurred in those patients who had earlier surgery." (If you send me an email address in a private message, I'll send you the entire article.)

Dr. Steve Charles' website (www charles-retina com) has information about the risks/success rates of ERM surgery.  He is a first-rate retinal surgeon.  He'll recommend a retinal surgeon in your area if you contact him.