Eye Care Expert Forum
excessive eye blinking and rolling of the eyes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

my 7 almost 8 year old son has blinked a little more then normal the past few months, he is shy and i thought it was just due to anxiety because it seemed to happen when he talked to new people and he seemed nervous.The past week it has become more excessive and sometimes his eye balls go upward when it happens. He said it doesn't hurt, that he can still see when it happens, and he knows its happening but cannot control it.I am extremly worried. The only things that have changed around our home is that he has a new baby brother who was in the hospital for a month, he is not the jealous type and is an amazing helper so i was thinking maybe stress? Or could it be something more serios?
Needs to be checked.  Make an appointment with a pediatric ophthalmologist to be sure there isn't a problem behind it.  Most frequent abnormality I see present that way is an intermittent exotropia where the child blinks and rolls the eye to bring it back in.  Other causes are possible too including some post-viral and neurologic ones come to mind but are very unlikely and rare so I wouldn't worry too much about it.  A good pediatric ophthalmologist could tell you, after an exam, whether you should take it further or not to worry.

HV