Eye Care Community
exotropia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

exotropia

I am 32 yrs. old male. I have a lazy eye and exotropia. I just start wearing eyeglasses for a month. With the eyeglasses my eyes are straight. When i take off my eyeglasses my eyes wander. How long would it take eyeglasses to correct exotropia. When i should get surgery.
There is not enough data to answer your questions. If you have exotrophia because your vision is so blurred that your brain cannot fuse the images of each eye into a single picture but with the glasses the brain can then you need to wear the glasses and expect your eye to turn out when they are off. Surgery does not help this type of problem.

If you are "over-minused" to stimulate convergence this is not a good idea for an adult especially at your age because convergence weakens dramatically this decade of life.

Your best bet is to see a strabismus-pediatric ophthalmologist for an evaluation of your condition.  Find one near you at www.aao.org

JCH MD

JCH MD
i heard that you can get strabismius surgery.
Your best bet is to see a strabismus-pediatric ophthalmologist for an evaluation of your condition.  Find one near you at www.aao.org  Only an exam can tell if you are a candidate for surgery.

JCH MD