Eye Care Community
extended dilation of pupil after eye exam

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

My daughter(8YRS) had an eye exam yesterday and they put drops in her eyes to dilate the pupil for the exam. They told me that the drops last about 4 hours.  This morning her pupils are still dilated, should I be concerned???
I suspect that the effects of dialating drops vary from person to person, and they are probably more pronounced in younger people.  They told me that the drops would only last for 2 hours, and 12 hours later my eyes were still noticeably dialated--and I'm in my 50's.  So don't panic.
Drops last longer in blue, gray or green light colored eyes. Also in children especially if eye muscle problems are present or suspected stronger drops (cyclogyl or cyclopentolate) are often necessary and they can last several days in some children.

JCH MD
I guess you are right.  They do seem to be returning to normal, though still slightly dilated--at 3pm today that is 27 hours later.  I may ask that they use less next time, though I don't know exactly what the dose is.

Thanks for the reassurance, I was worried about it.
She has dark brown eyes, but the Dr. didn't mention anything about the muscles of her eyes.  Do you think that I should call in on Monday about a follow-up?  Perhaps or ask what drops they did use as you say some drops are more potent.  The eye group that we use does have several opthamologists on staff, but I am fairly certain she was seen by an optometrist this time(since it was a Saturday appt.)

Thank you for your answer to my initial question, any guidance would be appreciated.  
Yes if still dilated tomorrow call. Also nest time mention the drops last a long time and they might be able to use weaker drops.
JCH MD
They are noticably smaller today, but still dilated.  I will call the doctor this morning. Thanks for your guidance.  Maybe they can flag her chart for the next time.  It was kinda frustrating, it was a beautiful weekend and we pretty much were relegated to the indoors:o(

Thank you again!  Hope you have a great week!

Melissa
-
My son  had his eyes dilated today for the first time at around 1:50 pm. He is experiencing burning in his eyes. Is there something I can do to help the ease the burning? He can not close his eyes to go to sleep it burns him. Can I put in some eye drops to ease the pain or will it do more damage to his eyes? Any advise please
You can use warm or cool compresses and artificial tears but you should call the "doctor" that checked his eyes and if he is still uncomfortable he will need to go back in to see if the cornea is scratched or irritated.

JCH MD