Eye Care Community
extreme glare after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

extreme glare after surgery

In January 2012, I went to have the floaters removed from my eyes.  I had the right eye done first and then 8 weeks later I had the 2nd eye done.  Most people there were only having 1 eye done but I had both eyes done.  I found out that was a mistake because I had the 2nd eye done before I realized what the complications were going to be from this type of eye surgery.  About 3 ½ months after the 1st surgery I noticed my vision deteriorating and I felt like I was becoming near sighted.  I went to see my optometrist and he told me I had aggressive cataracts which were a common side-effect from the previous surgery to remove the floaters. I was not informed that this could be a complication at all.  My eyes were changing so fast that my optometrist was giving me a new prescription for glasses / contacts every 7 days.  By the time I could get anything done to remove the cataracts, I was considered legally blind.  I was referred to a surgeon to have the cataracts removed but because I had previously had prk laser surgery approximately 20 years ago, he did not feel confident that he could help me so I was referred to another surgeon with more “experience” dealing with patients in my type of situation.  After meeting with this 2nd surgeon, I was given a number of choices concerning the type of replacement lenses I could have implanted – monofocal, bi-focal, or multi-focal.  Multi-focal was much more expense but money wasn’t my issue.  I tried to research what was the best choice for my work and lifestyle but I wasn’t able to find anyone to talk to who actually had the bi-focal lenses or the multi-focal lenses so I had to rely on the advice given by my optometrist and my surgeon.  I was told that 25% of the light doesn’t get into your eye with the multi-focal lenses so this did not seem like a good option for me because I many times work in low light situations and need to see minute details.  Also, when you have cataract, the biggest reason you cannot see is because light doesn’t get through your lens into your eye so this scared me.  If I knew then what I know now, that would not have been a worry what-so-ever and in fact it would be a blessing for the situation I am now in.  The surgeon talked me into getting mono-focal replacement lenses and both he and my optometrist decided that it would be best to try get my best distance vision and then get corrective glasses for near vision.  My first cataract surgery was on my dominant eye (left) but because of the previous PRK surgery, the prescription of the replacement lens was just a guess.  I went to the optometrist after that first cataract surgery and he would not tell me why my vision was so bad and he said I just needed to give it time to heal.  Warning bells should have gone off at that time.  I was also told that I had a secondary cataract in that left eye prior to the surgery on the second eye and again, I was not told that this could be a side-effect of cataract surgery.  Approximately 8 weeks later, I had the other cataract removed and a new lens put in.  Again my vision was not good so I went back to the optometrist about 6 weeks later.  He finally told me the bad news – I was extremely far-sighted in the left eye (+1.75) and +0.50 in the right eye plus I had secondary cataracts in both eyes and still some floaters.  I was referred to a surgeon again to have the Yag laser procedure to correct the secondary cataracts.  I had the procedure done on both eyes at the same time with devastating results.  The result is extreme glare when exposed to any light sources.  Night driving is now impossible.  I was also prescribed glasses with progressive lenses which I could not tolerate.  I now have prescription for bi-focal glasses which cost $1140.  I tried these for a few days and complained that I still couldn’t see and my optometrist just said it takes time to get used to the new glasses – what this really meant was that I had to get used to my terrible vision.  The surgeon who performed the Yag laser procedure said he had never heard of anyone having glaring after this procedure and he didn’t know why it happened.  My eyes are permanently dilated as a side effect of the drops I needed to use after the surgery for the removal of the floaters and this is also causing too much light to enter my eyes.
Is there anybody who can give me any advice to correct my terrible vision and the extreme glaring that I now have?  I am struggling with everyday tasks and have now had to reduce my hours of work because I cannot drive in the dark.  I have constant headaches and eye-strain.
Tags: glare, YAG
Not sure whether this is helpful, but here's my experience with glaring.  I had an IOL (monofocal) put in 4 months ago, then YAG done 3 weeks after that.  There were some inflammation issues, and i had a vitrectomy 6 weeks ago.  

My eys are now in good shape despite all the surgery, but I too see too much light in the left eye.  The ophthalmologist who performed the IOL implant reckoned it is caused by inflammation that is taking time to go away while the eye heals; my retinal specialist said something similar, that the retina can be irritated for several months after surgery and this excess light is a part of that.

for me the excess light makes points of light look sort of pink or green, and areas of light up against dark have a sort of blue line on the edge, if you see what I mean.

I think the take-away is that the eye takes time to heal, and that one needs to be patient and let it do its job. I sincerely hope things have improved for you since your initial post.