Eye Care Expert Forum
exudates of the eyes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

exudates of the eyes
my daughter suffered from bilateral retinal detachment of the right eye apparantly caused by exudates at the back of the eye dripping onto the retina. my question is, what are these exudates and how are they caused. she was not a diabetic. Thank you. Charles.
Dear CHAS630,

Without additional information, it is difficult to assess the cause of your daughter’s exudates.  It is possible that it may be related to an inflammatory or infectious condition. Seek the care of a retinal specialist and ask more questions.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

it was felt that there was indeed an intrauterine congenital infection during pregnancy and it was thought that toxoplasmosis was the possible cause though this was ruled out after many tests, this remained a mystery until her death aged 17 years, this was one of fourteen different condition she suffered from during her short life. her main problem was poliarticular junior chronic arthritis. on reflection i should have asked you, what are exudates and what happens to cause the destruction of the retina. i believe there are both hard and soft, so can you please enlighten me. thanks a lot. CHAS630
as above
I have been told I have an exudate in my left eye after I had my eyes screened at the Diabetic Eye clinic. My question relates to the medication i am taking for MS. I have Beta-interferon once a week by intra muscular injection, (Avonex).

I also have Opric Neuritis as a result of MS.

Could it be possible that the beta interferon has caused the exudate? i have had two spots on my left eye for some time previous, now I have 1 spot and 1 exudate?

thank you for any help you may be able to give me.

Regards Ruby.