Eye Care Community
eye accident

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

eye accident

My son accidentally got me in the eye with a straw. Dr. said I had a superficial cut on the cornea. I've had it bandaged  3 days. The eye patch came off today. (day 3) I'm taking pain killer drops (last dose tonight) and two different types of antibiotic drops. My damaged eye remains dilated  about twice as much as the good eye. I thought it was because the eye was in the dark and when I took the patch off it would go back to normal but it hasn't. Also my sight is not perfect in my bad eye. My question is, why is my eye so dilated and when would be a reasonable time to expect it to go down a bit? How does having two differently dilated eyes effect my vision? And lastly with a superficial cut there shouldn't be any permanent damage, right? Do I need to schedule a follow up visit and if so, after how long? Is it safe for me to drive a car this week?
Thankyou.
I cannot answer any of those questions. You should be under the care of an Eye MD ophthalmologist. You might ask the Eye MD if they put dilating drops in the eye, often they are used to put the iris at rest and relieve pain.

JCH MD